[Openchrome-users] K8M890 testing needed!!!

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton
Fri Dec 8 01:31:31 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 01:05 -0500, bob davis wrote:

> > Please check out the latest changes from svn.  Thomas has committed a
> > bunch of fixes for VT switching to trunk, that I have merged over to the
> > VT3336 branch.
> >
> > If you are feeling very adventurous you should try and back out the
> > attached patch (patch -R ) and see if VT switching works without it.
>

> Hi Jon
>
> I updated to 257 and have same results.
>
> (!!) (development build, at svn revision 257M)
>
> 1. VT switching still is messing up. I had to look up on the web to
> realize that VT switching is using <ctrl><alt><f8> to switch back to
> console mode. To be clear its only the console mode(<alt><f1-f6>) that
> is graphically messed up. When I switch back to gui(<alt><f7>)
> everything is fine. So that would mean that the function VIALeaveVT is
> the one screwing up?
>
> 2. xv still locking. It was better when I was getting BadAlloc msgs.
> Only because it didnt crash my system and gave me more info.
>
> I also removed the patch and there was no difference in action. I had to
> remove the patch by hand because it was for a different version. I
> basically commented out VIASaveScreen() in the function VIAEnterVT. Also
> commented out the block beginning with if (pVia->NoAccel).
>
> I noticed gabriel mansi modified his kernel agpgart module. Is this
> something I would have to do? I can see that the agpgart module is
> loaded but I also see the errors from drm in dmesg "reclaim buffers
> locked deadlock".

*clip*

Bob,

Are you setting up a vesa framebuffer on your kernel commandline?  If
not can you try adding vga=0x360 video=vesafb:mtrr to your kernel line?
That should give you a framebuffer of 1280x800.  I am curious if that
helps with the VT corruption.

XV is a work in progress.  To prevent the lockups I would change your
~/.mplayer/config  so you had vo=x11 as the default for now.

We are still determining who needs the agpgart changes.  Please send me
full output for

lspci -v
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
cat /proc/mtrr