[Openchrome-users] Epia EN12000 with DVI-03CG

Luc Verhaegen libv
Sun Dec 10 08:16:05 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 04:44:48PM +0100, J?rgen Andreasen wrote:
> On 10 Dec, Tony Grant wrote:
> > Le dimanche 10 d?cembre 2006 ? 15:06 +0100, J?rgen Andreasen a ?crit :
> >
> >> Well Ubuntu fooled me. :/ The VIA driver they use is the "official"
> >> one from the vendor, that's why the VT3118 (CN400 which is present in
> >> EPIA SP) is supported. The same driver is used in Fedora Core 5.
> >>
> >> In Ubuntu 6.10 you have the choice between VIA's driver or Unichrome.
> >> Ubuntu has renamed the Unichrome driver from "via" to "unichrome",
> >> when refering to it in the "xorg.conf" file. The "via" driver now has
> >> support for VT3344 (CN700 which is present in EPIA EN). In time I
> >> will test this for comparison.
> >
> > What is in FC6? Is this what is causing me X freezes on CLE266? I had
> > issues like that way back when I used the drivers from viarena
>
> I have to correct myself again. :(
>
> Ubuntu 6.06 seems to be using the Xorg driver version 1.33.2. This seems
> to have been released on the 21st of December 2005 (before the fork of
> Openchrome?). The Xorg version used in Ubuntu 6.06 is 7.0.0. The driver
> is name "via", for use in the "xorg.conf". One strange thing is its
> identification, when starting the X server:

Nope, after the fork.

> (II) Module via: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>         compiled for 4.3.99.902, module version = 0.1.33
>         Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>         ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.8
>
> That made me believe that they were using something from Via
> Techologies, targeted att XFree86 4.3.99 (the last XFree86 version with
> a permissive license).

4.3.99.902 was because a define, that was changed from an Xfree86
version to an Xorg one, was changed way too late.

> Ubuntu 6.10 seems also been using the Xorg driver version 0.2.1, this is
> named "via" in "xorg.conf". This driver seems to have been released on
> the 8th of Aprill 2006. They also supplies the Unichrome driver version
> 0.2.6 but they have renamed the driver, using a patch, to "unichrome"
> for use in "xorg.conf". This way you can try either of the by just
> tweeking your "xorg.conf".

This is broken because ubuntu's X maintainer refuses to listen to what
the developer has to say about the matter.

> Fedora Core 5 is using Xorg 7.0 and the "via" driver 0.1.33.2. This seem
> to be consistant with Ubuntu 6.06.
>
> Fedora Core 6 is using Xorg 7.1 and the "via" driver 0.2.1, which is
> consistent with Ubuntu 6.10. No Unichrome driver is present, not even in
> the Extras repository. :(
>
> Note! I've only tested the "via" driver on Ubuntu 6.06.
>
> On Suse you can't relly tell what driver version they are using, until
> you actually load it, as all drivers are in the same package. This is
> also true for the recently released (7th December) OpenSuse 10.2, which
> is using Xorg 7.2. Upgrades must be troublesome. :(
>
> The strange thing is that Xorg 7.2 doesn't seem to be released yet,
> correct me if I'm wrong. If that's true then Suse is using a beta
> version. :(

Not released indeed. But then FC6 ships an X version that falls between
7.1 and 7.2 itself.

> I feel the situation is a bit "messy". I hope haven't confused you
> further.
>
> /J?rgen

It's distributors that only further mess up a nasty situation.

Luc Verhaegen.