[Openchrome-users] CN700 problems.

Lasse Bigum Lasse
Sat Dec 16 11:44:10 PST 2006

On 18:44, Sat 16 Dec, Christiaan van Dijk wrote:
> The problem; all kernel and xorg parts load without any problem, logs
> show correct loading of the drivers,DRI and XvMC. When using the system
> performance is very low, extremely slow screen response and very slow
> starting of applications while cpu load seems to be low. Playing a DivX
> file with Mplayer seems to go fine but when I start some disc I/O
> (search for files) the entire thing locks up, right now it locks up when
> just playing the file. Only the xorg part seems to lock, the kernel is
> still running in the background, only no keyboard/mouse/screen :-( .

This resembles the problems I had as well. I bought my EN15000 as a
server, but during a 3 month stay in the USA I used it as a desktop, and
had similar problems.

The machine would either hardlock, or X would freeze up. I was able to
ssh to the machine sometimes and restart X, but other times it was very
much dead, and I had to reset it.

The problem manifested itself just as you describe it: heavy I/O and
then some random activity would freeze it up. It never (as far as I
recall) froze on its own, only when I did something during the heavy I/O
load. Currently it just sits behind a couch doing server-stuff, and some
of this includes heavy I/O of course, but it has *never*, not even once,
frozen on me since. I suspect something that X does (i.e. the openchrome
driver most likely) triggers this.

Not to much help, sorry, but just wanted to confirm your findings. I
didn't debug it as much as you have done though.

/Lasse