[Openchrome-users] Performance Problems

Peter Sheldrick petersheldrick
Wed Dec 27 23:20:43 PST 2006

I installed openchrome for my CN700 graphics chip and now ran a few ad-hoc
benchmarks:

glxgears is very slow and top quickly shows 99.9% cpu usage.
Does that mean i'm using the driver at all?

firefox viewing a graphics heavy page like www.gamespot.com reaches over 50%
cpu usage

mplayer plays the spider man 3 teaser trailer at 640x304 res encoded by divX
with under 6% cpu load.
The trailer is availiable at pocketmovies.

Is this just my cpu?
I'm running a J7F2 Mini-ITX mainboard that has a VIA CN700 chipset.
My processor is a VIA C7 1.5GH .
Graphics: VIA UniChrome Pro IGP onboard core.
Monitor:  Dell WFP 2007 1680x1050 at 60Hz.

My monitor didnt show that resolution with the vesa driver,
so i installed openchrome by checking it out from svn and compiling it.
After doing "make install" my screen could show 1680x1050,
i thought the driver was working fine.
I'm running debian-etch, Xorg fvwm2(minimal).

Peter