[Openchrome-users] Rotation with acceleration on CLE266

Thomas Hellstrom thomas
Fri Feb 17 09:09:04 PST 2006

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Because I didn't get a reply yet, I'm asking again only in private:

Sorry. Been travelling.

>> > Hi. Yes you're right. There is no support for 2D hardware
>> rotation in
>> > the CLE266 chip.
>> > There is in the Unichrome Pro group A chips, but there's
>> > nothing in the driver.
>>
>> What is currently supported for the CN400? The same as for CLE266?
>> Including accelerated openGL?
>
> I think I saw on the openchrome site that 2D and 3D acceleration is
> working fine on CN400. What is the status of this support in Xorg 6.9?

It is working. There are a fair number of bugs in Xorg that are fixed in
Openchrome, though. Xorg 6.9 is currently not maintained because there is
no release manager, so i cannot commit bug fixes to the via driver there.

>> > Also it might happen in the future with EXA since the 3D
>> > engine can do
>> > HW rotation.
>
>> No plans to support hardware rotation for CN400 at the
>> moment? (This is also not supported in Via's own drivers?)
>
>> I'm just wondering if it would be useful to buy a board with CN400...

Don't do that if rotation is all you're after. Chances that someone will
implement driver-level hardware rotation in the via drivers are very
small. In the future there might be accelerated rotation on
composite-manager level, though, but I'm not sure anyone is looking into
this. It might be worth asking on the xorg list. If someone does this, The
openchrome driver is ready for it, and the 3D engine will accelerate the
rotation.

>> Note that I'm not at all interested in playing movies (so,
>> not interested in MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 decoding). I'm just
>> interested in getting a fast desktop experience, using as
>> little CPU as possible.
>
> The above is still all valid :)
>
> Thanks in advance for your reply.

/Thomas