[Openchrome-users] CN400 getting unknown symbols during modprobe via

Chad masterclc
Thu Jul 6 01:46:54 PDT 2006

Thank you both for your very fast replies.  I'll reply inline below:

On 7/6/06, Karl Hiramoto <karl at hiramoto.org> wrote:
> show us what other modules you have loaded.  "lsmod"
>
> I have almost identical system.  SP13000, gentoo, kernel 2.6.16.14   I
> think you are missing the drm module
>
> My system:
>
> # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> lirc_serial            10432  1
> lirc_dev               10756  1 lirc_serial
> snd_via82xx            19700  0
> snd_ac97_codec         79392  1 snd_via82xx
> snd_ac97_bus            1696  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_mpu401_uart         4992  1 snd_via82xx
> snd_rawmidi            17312  1 snd_mpu401_uart
> i2c_viapro              6548  0
> via                    39360  1
> drm                    53940  2 via
> via_agp                 7200  1
> agpgart                25136  2 drm,via_agp
>

> The drm kernel module is under drivers -- char devices..
>
> Select modules:
>  Direct Rendering Manager
> Via Unichrome video cards.

Here is my output from lsmod (after turning alsa off so it would be
easier to view):
 lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
drm                    61204  5
via_agp                 7808  1
agpgart                25264  2 drm,via_agp
ohci1394               30640  0
ieee1394               82356  1 ohci1394
videodev                7296  0
uhci_hcd               28944  0
ehci_hcd               26888  0
via_rhine              19716  0
i2c_viapro              7316  0

I first tried compiling the drm module from the kernel, but then after
reading the wiki docs, I recompiled the kernel and removed the drm
module, which also removed the via module from the kernel itself.  I
then went to the drm cvs directory and followed the wiki's
instructions on installing drm and via from that:
http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Compiling+the+source+code

I did every step, twice actually, the second time using straight cut 'n paste:

Direct Rendering Manager :
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at dri.freedesktop.org:/cvs/dri login
(password for anonymous is empty, just hit enter)
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at dri.freedesktop.org:/cvs/dri co drm
Install libdrm
cd drm
./autogen.sh
make
make install
Install kernel module
cd linux-core
make LINUXDIR=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build DRM_MODULES=via
cp *.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
depmod -ae

Which is why I'm at a loss...

Thomas wrote:
> It appears you have upgraded your DRM kernel module and only replaced
> via.ko and not drm.ko.
> If you are sure you've replaced also drm.ko, then do a
>
> depmod -ae
>
> as root. Then try again.
>
> /Thomas

I checked twice, both modules are in there and I am able to modprobe
up drm.  I even moved the directory completely, re-followed the
instructions, checked again (the drm and via modules returned after
the cp command above) and did a depmod -ae, and still get the same
error.

If anyone has any more ideas, I'm totally open to suggestion.  I'll
start over again, go from scratch and see what happens.  Might just be
my kernel going nuts and not recognizing my modules for some reason...

Thanks!

-Chad