[Openchrome-users] vga-to-scart with openchrome

John Robinson john.robinson
Fri Jul 7 08:07:06 PDT 2006

On 07/07/2006 15:39, Greg Farrell wrote:
>    a work colleague of mine wants to connect his m10000 to his tv
> using RGB scart.
>
> Will a basic vga-to-scart work with the openchrome drivers? As I
> understand it you need to have the correct modeline to drive the
> vga output. However modes are compiled into openchrome, right?

Modes for the TV output are compiled in at the moment, but modes for the
VGA output work as set by modelines. Unfortunately the interlace
parameter is currently non-functional, which means you (or she) won't
get the right thing from the VGA connector even with a perfect modeline.
It's not clear whether the chipset even does interlace: the VIA drivers
appear to mention it once or twice, but (i) it appears to be orphan
code, and (ii) they totally ignore modelines anyway.

> Would simply setting it to 720x576NoScale mean that the signal going
> to the vga out would be suited to passing through a plain vga-to-scart
> cable?

No, and your (or her) TV might get very upset or destroyed.

> I'm guessing it'd only affect what comes out the s-video/composite
> connectors and that the vga connector would still output normal 85hz
> pc signals.

No, you'd get a 50Hz version, but one that only a VGA monitor could cope
with (i.e. no interlace so double the PAL or NTSC line rate), and then
only if your monitor definition said it could.

Yes, it's a generally unsatisfactory situation.

> Anyone had success connecting a rgb scart to a m10000? He doesn't want
> to get a scan-convertor,

Not as far as I know, and I'd very much like to do it myself.

Cheers,

John.