[Openchrome-users] Getting around VBE modes

Thomas Hellstrom thomas
Tue Mar 7 09:05:08 PST 2006

> Getting around VBE modes
> Hi,
>
> The openchrome drivers report that my chipset is not supported (PN800) and
> its using VBE modes to work around it.
> Problem with the VBE modes is some strange thing which causes the machine
> to freeze for 15 seconds when starting X. Maybe it's related to the LCD
> screen on my laptop but I'm not sure.

Probably not. PM800 / PN800 computers are notiously slow while running the
BIOS code that implements VBE. And they stop interrupts while doing this
as well.

> Is there anything I can do to fix this? Like testing modes manually or
> something?

In fact there is. You could try to find out what is taking time by issuing
write statements in the driver code: ErrorF("text") and start the X server
from a remote computer.

Look in via_vbe.c and via_driver.c If it is saving / restoring the VGA
state (viavbesaverestore or something which I suspect) then we should be
able to bypass that and use the driver save/restore functions instead. At
least as an option.

/Thomas