[Openchrome-users] Newbee Question: Openchrome sufficient for watching DivX?

Bazon bazonbloch
Wed Mar 8 02:04:07 PST 2006

Thanks for your answer, Ivor, of course I have some questions again:

Ivor Hewitt schrieb:

>On Tuesday 07 March 2006 16:41, Bazon wrote:
>

>>Hello, I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 on a Via Epia M 6000 and I'm relativly new
>>on it....
>>

>Check the output of xine and the contents of your Xorg.log file to see mention
>of XvMC.

1. Xine output:
If you mean the video output: Still too slow. (But I'm not sure how to
set up Xine-ui 0.99.3, too (e.g. picking a video driver...  ...at least
XvMC isn't mentioned in Xine-ui 0.99.3/settings/video/driver [menu, not
path]))

2. Xorg.log file:
I don't have such a file. But I have /var/log/Xorg.0.log which includes
XvMC:

(II) VIA(0): direct rendering enabled
Fulfilled via DRI at 10485760
(--) VIA(0): Using 3DNow! YUV42X copy for video.
(II) VIA(0): [XvMC] Initialized XvMC extension.
(II) VIA(0): - Done

So how can I use this XvMC for video playback???

Thanks, Bazon

Additional comments:
1. Next time Ubuntu started it claimed a newer Xorg driver for via
exists and installed it. Is this correct?

2. On http://www.openchrome.org/snapshots/ubuntu/ is written:
"The via_drm.tgz tarball contains a drm kernel module compiled against
the 686 kernel... if you are using a pre Nehemia C3 processor then you
need to build your own C3/i586 kernel and if you're doing that... you
might as well build the drm yourself! :) "

So as I only use a Eden C3 / Samuel 2 in didn't used that modules but
compiled a patched kernel instead according to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ViaEpiaDriHowto (and at least the system boots
with that new kernel...)

3. I tried to install the Via Enhanced Xine Player from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/viaexp/ but I didn't suceed, as it
claims I haven't installed the UniChrome Pro VGA driver, but in fact I
didn't try, as I read, the UniChrome driver doesn't support mpeg
accelaration anymore.
So the Via Enhanced Xine Player doesn't work with OpenChrome?