[Openchrome-users] VIA VT1631 LVDS Transmitter ??

Thomas Hellström thomas
Thu May 18 00:11:22 PDT 2006

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>>>?
>>>

>>>you're getting font anti-aliasing when using the monitor out? but not
>>>with the LCD panel?
>>>

>>Note that the LCD panel does not work with "via" without VBEModes. The LCD
>>panel does work with "via" with VBEModes true or when using "vesa".
>>

>>>not that I don't believe you. :) but it might be interesting grabbing a
>>>screenshot of the two and seeing if anything "leaps out".
>>>

>>I also don't see it myself -- but just am speaking with two admins of the
>>box that see the differences with their eyes when switching between "vesa"
>>and "via".
>>
>>I will get some screenshots...
>>

>I have some screenshots that I can make available via http://.
>
>First we used both xwd and gnome's screen capture utility. But the
>screenshots from these showed great antialiasing. I was told that the text
>on the screen was all jagged but the screenshots looked good.
>
>So the owner used a camera and took pictures. When using "via" on his VGA
>monitor, the antialiasing looked good. But when using "via" with VBEModes
>(so it would display on the LVDS) on the LCD panel and on the VGA monitor,
>the pictures are bad -- text is all jagged.
>
>Why would a screenshot (using xwd) show nice antialiasing, when the real
>screen is showing jagged text?
>
>And how can we get the real displays (especially LVDS) to show the nice
>antialiasing?
>
>The same problem is when using "vesa" driver instead of "via". "via"
>has good antialiasing but doesn't power the LVDS. "vesa" does power the
>LVDS but has no antialiasing.
>
>Thanks!
>
> Jeremy C. Reed

Hi, Jeremy.

I was a bit curious, because from your previous mail it looked like the
VESA driver was displaying OK while Openchrome + VBEModes was not? They
_should_ be exactly the same modulo some bugs that may have been
introduced, except that the Openchrome driver will try to step up the
refresh rate if it can (to what the monitor allows). The VESA driver
does not do this.

Have you tried VIA's binary drivers (to get a reference?) Does the
picture look OK?

Are you sure that the driver is displaying at the display's native
resolution?

/Thomas