[Openchrome-users] CN400 1080i Output through DVI

Welf welf
Thu Nov 30 11:37:43 PST 2006

> Hello all, this is my first post although I have been reading this
> list for quite a while.
>
> I have just aquired a Via SP13000 with a DVI-02 daughterboard. I am
> pretty impressed with the results so far. I am currently using a 720P
> modeline for display throught the DVI connection and it works well.
> But, I would like to be able to output 1080i for connection to a HDTV
> with an HDMI input. I have tried adding various versions of a 1080i
> modeline to xorg.conf and Xorg.log.0 reports "interlaced mode not
> supported." From what I have been able to find it should be possible I
> think? I can't seem to find much on interlaced outputs on the VGA/DVI
> outputs.
>
> I am using Xorg server version 1.1.1 as part of Xorg 7.1 on Gentoo. I
> have the Openchrome svn version 233 driver installed along with the
> latest DRM checkout. XvMC and the rest is working well. I just can't
> seem to get an interlaced output.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a repsonse from from Luc Verhaegen back in July 7 about
interlaced modes using the vga output.  Same for DVI?

Welf

> John Robinson wrote:
> > Not as far as I know, and I'd very much like to do it myself.
> Thanks John. It's good to know it won't really work before
> he goes off and wastes money buying the bits for a vga-to-scart cable
>
>    Greg

Won't ever work.

Support for it just isn't there. Savage had one register for vertical
interlaced timing (defines where to retrace) , and one bit somewhere
else to double the HSync vertical stride. None of that is present near
the unichrome and this functionality apparently got dropped between the
savages and the unichromes.

As the person who has spent ages sifting through VIA codedrops, and as
the person who has been reverse engineering vga bioses extensively
(where i found CRT Sensing), i'm certain that it isn't possible, and i'm

certain that i will only waste time pursuing this.

To add some weight to this, I will hereby place a bounty on this: six
Delerium Tremens (http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/delirium-tremens/1039/)
mailed to the person who does manage to prove verifyably that interlaced

modes (straight out of the CRT connection) are possible with the
unichrome.

Prove that it is possible, that i'm not utterly wasting my time, and
i'll be happy to dig this out.

Luc Verhaegen.