[Openchrome-users] Unichrome Pro/Gentoo/Xorg 7.0.0 "couldn't open module drm"

calinb userforum
Tue Oct 3 10:53:04 PDT 2006

Unichrome Pro/Gentoo/Xorg 7.0.0 "couldn't open module drm"
I posted to the DRI list but it doesn't seem to see much action.  Maybe Chad or Dan or Karl or other gentoo users knows what's going on here.  I tried Karl's ebuild and it didn't help.  Originally, I followed the wiki on these pages,

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Unichrome_How-To
http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Compiling+the+source+code

and I successfully had dri/drm working on 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 but I recently emerged world and now
have a 2.6.17-gentoo-r8 kernel. My many attempts at building drm have failed this time. Dri  continued to work using the old kernel but, in trying to rebuild for the old kernel, i've broken it too!

Does anyone have a few hints or guidance on the following questions:

1. Should I emerge either x11-base/x11-drm or x11-libs/libdrm onto my system when I'm building my own drm, as above?

2. Should I build my kernel with or without Character Devices >> Direct Rendering Manager (XFree86 4.1.0 and higher DRI support) (DRM) >> Via unichrome video cards (DRM_VIA)?

I've tried all combinations of the above.

3. Does anyone have a list of the necessary drm/dri files and where they go in a correct "make install"?

More info:

ECS P4M800Pro mobo w/ Unichrome Pro chipset

Openchrome drivers

localhost linux # modprobe via
localhost linux # view dmesg
localhost linux # dmesg |grep drm
[drm] Initialized drm 1.0.1 20051102
[drm] Initialized via 2.10.2 20060616 on minor 0:
[drm] Used old pci detect: framebuffer loaded

(II) LoadModule: "dri"
(II) Loading
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
(II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.2
(II) Loading sub module "drm"
(II) LoadModule: "drm"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module drm
(II) UnloadModule: "drm"
(II) UnloadModule: "dri"
(II) Unloading
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (a required submodule
could not be loaded, 0)

When I  make LINUXDIR=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
DRM_MODULES=via

I net the following warnings, which I don't remember
from my previous successful build:

WARNING: /root/openchrome/drm/linux-core/drm.o -
Section mismatch: reference to
.exit.text:drm_cleanup_pci from __ksymtab between
'__ks ymtab_drm_cleanup_pci' (at offset 0x50) and
'__ksymtab_drm_init'

WARNING: /root/openchrome/drm/linux-core/drm.o -
Section mismatch: reference to .exit.text:drm_exit
from __ksymtab between '__ksymtab_d rm_exit' (at
offset 0x60) and '__ksymtab_drm_ioctl'

X seems to be looking for modules in

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/

If I copy my new libdrm.so there, it finds the module but I get:

(II) Loading sub module "drm"
(II) LoadModule: "drm"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdrm.so
(EE) LoadModule: Module drm does not have a drmModuleData data object.
(II) UnloadModule: "drm"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdrm.so

Obviously, it's not the right module.

I've spent hours trying to duplicate whatever I did before (based on Chad's help).  I'm a confused and clueless DRM/Gentoo newb!  Thanks for the help!

-Cal

----

Reply Link: <http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwikitiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=1&comments_reply_threadId=1&comments_parentId=2194&post_reply=1#form>