[Openchrome-users] xvmc support for mplayer

John Robinson john.robinson
Sun Sep 17 09:15:33 PDT 2006

On 17/09/2006 16:46, Mario Emmenlauer wrote:
> After getting xvmc to work with Xorg 7.1 and the xorg-drivers, mpeg2
> runs awesome with almost zero cpu. But mpeg4 also got faster with xine,
> at least as far as I can tell. If I'm not entirely mistaken, the cpu-load
> at least halved. I was previously unable to watch DVD-resolution XviD
> with Qpel and GMC, and now it even runs smoothly. If anyone is really
> curious I can do some benchmarks.

I'm sure there isn't specific support for the mpeg4 "acceleration"
capabilities. There have been performance improvements in xv
acceleration generally, which might explain the differences you've seen.
Also, I've found xine to be less of a CPU hog than other players I've tried.

Cheers,

John.