[Openchrome-users] Xorg & 1440x900 WXGA

John Robinson john.robinson
Wed Sep 20 02:07:55 PDT 2006

On 19/09/2006 22:38, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> Ellington Santos wrote:
>> How can I know which Vfreq my LCD suports?
>>
> I'd say from its specs, but maybe it's also advertised from EDID/DDC.
> Not familiar with the later, though.

EDID/DDC info ought to appear in your Xorg log as long as your monitor
supports it and you don't have Option "NoDDC" in the Monitor section of
your xorg.conf.

Occasionally the EDID info includes Modelines, or at least timings with
which you can write a Modeline (Xorg tries to do just that with the
info). In particular, on an Acer 19" widescreen 1440x900 panel, I've
seen the timings/Modeline for a perfect 1440x900 picture on that panel.

Unfortunately what Xorg makes of EDID/DDC info sometimes doesn't work
properly so you have to read the Xorg log, make notes, then change the
Monitor section to have Option "NoDDC", the correct HorizSync and
VertRefresh settings, and the Modelines.

Cheers,

John.