[Openchrome-users] Modelines

John Robinson john.robinson
Wed Sep 20 15:16:56 PDT 2006

On 20/09/2006 20:31, Joel Means wrote:
> I am confused on something after reading through the archives and I
> haven't taken the time to try it yet.  Can someone tell me if putting
> modelines into xorg.conf works with the openchrome driver?  I have read
> in places that the openchrome driver only uses built-in modes and
> ignores modelines, but I have also seen several mentions of putting in
> modelines.  So, will modelines work or be ignored?

OpenChrome respects modelines for regular VGA output, but currently has
hard-coded built-in modes for TV output.

This means that if you want TV output, you're stuck with the relatively
few modes available[1]. As there's no support for dualhead, you're also
stuck with versions of these modes on the VGA output if you connect up
to both the VGA and TV outputs. There is work in progress to improve all
this, but don't hold your breath.

If you only use VGA output, you can have any mode and any modeline you
like (apart from limitations on memory bandwidth, e.g. you can't have
32bpp on modes bigger than 1600x1200 on most unichrome chips).

Cheers,

John.

[1] The modes are: 640x480, 848x480, 800x600, 1024x768,
720x576 for PAL TVs, 720x480 for NTSC TVs and their Noscale variants,
overscan variants for all of the above,
1280x720 for 720p TVs and 1920x1080i for 1080i TVs on VT1625 only.