[Openchrome-users] 3d drivers and texture support

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton
Wed Apr 11 11:34:14 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 19:58 +0200, Claas Langbehn wrote:
> > I am currently working on the communication channels with VIA.  We are
> > still working on the most efficient work flow, so don't expect immediate
> > answers.  However if you would like to forward the chipset you are
> > working on I will try and obtain the relevant information for it.  I do
> > believe that there are some older data sheets floating around the net.
> >

> Hello Jon,
>
> that sounds good. Are they giving you real datasheets without NDA?
> I thought that VIA was not cooperating at all.

I have been working with Fiona as a contact for VIA's Open Source
development group for the past 5 months.  During that time we have
started implementing a plan to help better integrate their organizations
work with that of the Open Source community.  One of their concerns was
that so many developers requesting NDA's and information would be a
drain on their internal resources.  To help alleviate this we have
agreed to get a few of our more main stay developers to be put under NDA
and triage questions from the open source community.  Currently Gabriel
Mansi and myself are cleared to receive NDA's so we can receive
datasheets and help answer questions the community members have.  VIA
has also provided us with contact to two of their Open Source developers
if we need further support.

This work with VIA is definitely going in a positive direction, although
probably a bit slower than most Open Source developers like.  They have
agreed to try and adopt all freedesktop.org coding standards into their
own release of the driver to make it easier for upstream merges and
re-use of code by openchrome.org.  Their intent is to get this done for
the next release of their Open Source graphics driver, but couldn't
guarantee it.

Both sides of the collaboration are working hard to make this a win-win
situation.  I can only ask that all the members of the openchrome.org
community bear with us as we work out all the kinks in the communication
process.

Jon Nettleton