[Openchrome-users] DVI-02 funkiness

Thomas Hellström thomas
Fri Apr 20 04:10:57 PDT 2007

Philip Prindeville wrote:

>Well, I'm going through my Xorg.0.log on my SP-13000, and
>seeing in it:
>
>(II) VIA(0): ViaI2CBus3Init
>(II) VIA(0): I2C bus "I2C bus 3" initialized.
>(II) VIA(0): ViaI2CScan: Scanning I2C bus 2
>(II) VIA(0): ViaI2CScan: Scanning I2C bus 3
>(--) VIA(0): Found slave on I2C bus 3 - 0x40
>(--) VIA(0): Found slave on I2C bus 3 - 0x70
>(--) VIA(0): Found slave on I2C bus 3 - 0x74
>(--) VIA(0): Found slave on I2C bus 3 - 0xA0
>

>so I hacked up a driver to try to read a byte from Bus 3, address 0x70,
>sub-address 0x00: which should be the first byte of the Sil164 device...
>but the read fails.
>
>So...  why is the read failing?  Is the bus not being
>initialized with the correct timings?
>
>Or are there things that don't have stuff starting at sub-address 0?
>
>Also, going through the Via drivers to try to figure how they do
>things...  I notice that they also probe using something called
>GPIOI2C_*
>
>Not sure what that is.  Is there another I2C bus that isn't
>accessible with the xf86i2c.c code?  Has anyone else pored over
>that part of the VT code?
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Philip

Luc once moved VIA's GPIOI2C_ stuff over to the generic xf86i2c code.
IIRC, While doing so, he altered some timings in order to make it work
with a chip he had on his mainboard. Those alterations made it fail
reading from the vt1623 device, it even got the device id wrong, so I
changed those timings back to something like what's in the VIA code to
make vt1623 working.

It's possible that the read timing needs more tweaking. Try to compare
the failing function with the corresponding one in the VIA code and see
if you can make it work

/Thomas