[Openchrome-users] patching mplayer with xvmc patch

Timothy Lee timothy.lee
Sun Jul 29 05:12:17 PDT 2007

Matteo Brusa wrote:
> Thanks for the help, i was able fix the problem some days ago, as i
> wrote in another post. Some kernel modules were outdated (via and
> drm). Now hw acceleration works, the cpu consumption is less than 20%,
> mplayer says it doesn't skip a frame (using -framedrop). Still, when i
> play a DVD, i see no big improvement from software decoding: the video
> isn't as fluid as it should be, some frames are still missing. What
> could be the reason for it?
What's your kernel version?  I had problem the same problem with Fedora
Core 4, which was running on 2.6.17, but after upgrading the OS to
Fedora 7, which uses 2.6.21, I had no problem with the video at all.

My guess is that ALSA is responsible for the stuttering.  You can
confirm this by using -vo null, or -nosound to disable able decoding
altogether.  The video should now be smooth as silk!

Regards,
Timothy