[Openchrome-users] xorg-server-1.3 dies while using Xv with video players

Andrey Melentyev andrey.melentyev
Thu Jun 7 13:25:10 PDT 2007

Some time ago I've updated xorg-server to 1.3 version.

Now I've found an annoying bug. Steps to reproduce:
1) start mplayer with some video file and Xv output driver.
2) open some window and maximize it to fully overlay mplayer's window.
3) click on mplayer in the task bar to raise it's window

on my system X server dies after this actions. I've tried to downgrade
to xorg-server-1.2 - there is no such bug.

Here is a part of my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"

    Identifier	"VIA Unichrome Pro"
    Driver			"via"

    Option	"AccelMethod"			"EXA"
    Option	"ExaScratchSize"	"8192"
    Option	"MaxDRIMem"				"16384"
    Option	"MigrationHeuristic"	"greedy"
    Option	"ActiveDevice"		"LCD"
    Option	"EnableAGPDMA"		"true"
    Option	"NoXVDMA"					"true"
    Option	"VBEModes"				"true"
    Option	"DisableIRQ"			"true"
    BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"

EndSection

But It seems that xorg.conf is not a importaing thing in my case,
because when xorg-server-1.2 runs with the save config - there is no
trouble. And when everything about EXA and DMA is commented out - 1.3
continues to die and 1.2 work fine.

When X dies the last messages in X.org.log are:

(II) VIA(0): VIALoadPalette
(II) VIA(0): VIALoadRgbLut
Freed 0 (pool 0)
Fulfilled via DRI at 4096000
Freed 0 (pool 0)
Fulfilled via DRI at 4523008

Backtrace:
0: X(xf86SigHandler+0x84) [0x80c8434]
1: [0xa7f90420]
2: X [0x80dcff8]
3: X [0x80ddae5]
4: X(miHandleValidateExposures+0x77) [0x8139067]
5: X [0x807a306]
6: X(ConfigureWindow+0x93d) [0x807c1bd]
7: X(ProcConfigureWindow+0xa1) [0x808df61]
8: X [0x8152491]
9: X(Dispatch+0x1ab) [0x808e80b]
10: X(main+0x489) [0x8076639]
11: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xeb) [0x440a3e8b]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
Freed 4096000 (pool 2)
Freed 4523008 (pool 2)
(II) VIA(0): VIALeaveVT
(II) VIA(0): [drm] Cleaning up DMA ring-buffer.
(II) VIA(0): ViaCursorStore
(II) VIA(0): VIARestore
(II) VIA(0): ViaLCDPower: On.
(II) VIA(0): ViaDisablePrimaryFIFO

Some software information:
Gentoo Linux
xorg-server-1.3 with VIA EXA patches
MPlayer-1.0_rc1 with XvMC patches
libdrm, drm modules - from git
kernel-2.6.21-ck1 with viafb
openChrome driver from svn.

I'd be glad to hear any suggestions about fixing this strange X server
behavior. Except downgrading to 1.2 version of course :)

BTW, kaffeine kills my X too. So this may be not mplayer-only problem,
but something about Xv.

--
-wbr,
Andrey Melentyev