[Openchrome-users] VIA Chrome 9

Pavel Krejcir pavel
Thu Jun 14 15:15:13 PDT 2007

Jon Nettleton wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 23:21 +0200, Pavel Krejcir wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I've got an MSI board with VIA chipset VT3230, with integrated graphics
>> card K8M890. After some investigation I've found a 2D driver supported
>> by OpenChrome, and realized that neither a 3D binary driver nor a 3D
>> specification has been published by VIA, and it is likely that it never
>> will be. (Not sure what "Vista Certified" really means, I'm afraid that
>> it could be decrypted as "The vendor promises that free software will
>> never be supplied with appropriate information.")
>>
>> I apologize for a bit lengthy  description at this point, I want to be
>> sure that they who are interested in will properly understand what I am
>> actually asking for.
>>
>> Well, since I would sometimes like to have a 3D acceleration, a simple
>> solution might be to buy another graphics card which I could be sure a
>> driver exists for. On the other hand, this is not a critical problem for
>> me. I will probably never use the 3D acceleration heavily, sometimes try
>> to draw some things in Blender, nothing more. Of course, this is still
>> possible with disabling DRI, but direct rendering would be better. I
>> believe the card is not as bad as stated on some forums, and for this
>> purpose should be fully sufficient.
>>

> The 3d engine for the Chrome 9 chipsets is very different than the
> existing Mesa drivers.  The engine is a programmable core and so far we
> have no info on it.
>

>> So I started to investigate the problem a bit. I decided not to ask
>> anything on any forum prior getting some basic knowledge. After few
>> weeks I know that the direct rendering for this card is disabled in DRM.
>> I can locate the point and switch it on. After recompiling, installing
>> drm.ko and via.ko and reloading the system, the X gets frozen every time
>> I start the screen saver settings, or run glxinfo. The X is frozen so
>> much that even "Ctrl-Alt-Backspace" does not help. That's fine, and I
>> expect it to do this. I have another computer in LAN so I can safely
>> reboot the affected machine via telnet. I am prepared for real debugging.
>>

> There is no reason that DRI can't start working.  Our problem was that
> we were having getting DMA working on the IGP/AGP bus.  Once we get that
> straightened out we will re-enable DRI.
>

>> Eventually I start to approach the proper topic of this message. I am a
>> little bit stacked now. I know that parsing of the buffer does not cause
>> the crash, it is caused by something called next, when the buffer
>> parsing returns OK. I know that the buffer parsing is called somewhere
>> from mesa, but I cannot compile mesa. There is some syntax error in a
>> module probably not used by my computer at all. I should be able to
>> overcome this and compile mesa in the end, but I am not sure whether it
>> is even necessary.
>>

> You will definitely need to be able to compile mesa.  The mesa
> [...]
Jon,

thank you for your quotes. I am a bit more clever now. I have only two
more questions:

1. Is there any chance/promise that VIA will supply the mesa team with
the required specification? And if yes, is there any timeframe when it
should happen?

2. Is there something I could help with meanwhile? - I think this has
been already answered by Benno later today.

So thanks again,

Pavel