[Openchrome-users] Brightness/contrast controls?

Andrei Formiga andrei.formiga
Tue May 1 11:09:28 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm not sure this is adequate for this list, sorry. I want to change
brightness and contrast levels globally for my display. Here's my
case:

I have a computer with a UniChrome videoboard (windows says it's
KM400/KN400, lspci says it's VT8378), and just yesterday I bought a
LCD monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 740N) to replace my old CRT. But it's
normally too bright and the colors get washed out and
indistinguishable. On windows I solved this by going to the video
board settings and tweaking with the gamma controls there; reducing
gamma, brightness & contrast a bit I get an excellent image from the
monitor, very crisp colors. The brightness & contrast controls from
the windows driver are NOT the same as the brightness & contrast
controls from the monitor. I tried tweaking the monitor settings and I
cannot get the same result as with the driver's controls. Also,
adjusting only gamma I can't get the same image quality.

Then I rebooted into Linux. Same problem with all the brightness and
washed-out colors. First I tried adjusting gamma, to no avail; found
out I was using the vesa driver that didn't support gamma, so I
compiled the openchrome drivers, it works. I used xgamma and reduced
the gamma a bit. It's an improvement, but I still can't distinguish
some colors. So I need the brightness & contrast controls that are
there on the windows driver.

I tried looking for a way to change this in X, to no avail. I looked
at openchrome's source code, but could only find references to
brightness and contrast in the context of Xv; I guess that's not what
I want. Searching the web, I found that the linux nvidia drivers have
these settings, and being that I used the driver to adjust the
settings on windows, I thought about asking this here: is there a way
to change brightness and contrast with the current openchrome drivers?
If so, how? Thanks in advance for any help.

--
[]s, Andrei Formiga