[Openchrome-users] CN400 mpeg-2 acceleration still slow

Chad masterclc
Thu May 10 12:50:46 PDT 2007

On 5/10/07, David Shay <david at shay.net> wrote:

> On 5/9/07, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/9/07, David Shay <david at shay.net> wrote:
> > > I have a Commell LV-667 with the CN400 chip.  I'm running trunk SVN
> revision
> > > 327 and the latest git drm.  I'm testing MPEG-2 acceleration using xine
> with
> > > -X xxmc and a 1280x720 video.  Video plays OK, but CPU usage hovers
> around
> > > 95%.  If I play a 1920x1080, it uses 100% and the video stutters.  From
> > > examining the xine logs, it appears to be using hardware acceleration,
> but
> > > the CPU utilization sure doesn't show it.  This is with Xorg 7.2
> > >
> > > Attached is a xine log.  Any thoughts?

> > Can you also attach your /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
> >
> Attached.
> It's only the messages from startup, though.  Running xine added no new log
> messages/errors.

As you said, it all looks "fine".  Do you have the correct library in
/etc/X11/XvMCConfig?

For example, I have:
libviaXvMCPro.so.1

In mine on a LV-667T.
For me the biggest difference is I'm running SVN 224 and not the
latest and greatest.  I rolled back to 224 because I needed to be able
to apply the billionmonkeys patch for TVOut (which has nothing to do
with the CN400 chipset and everything to do with the VT1625 TV Encoder
chip) to work.  So assuming you are using either the VGA or DVI
output, you shouldn't need to roll back as the CN400 stuff should be
the same (or better) in the 327 revision.

My only 'guess' is scaling.  It looks like you are running a 1600x1200
display.  If you change that video res to more closely match 1920x1080
or 1280x720 (whatever your display uses as it's max resolution, and
I'm just assuming an HDTV set, obviously this could be a computer
monitor and 1600x1200 should be 'fine') maybe the problem will
subside?  Maybe even just lowering it to something like 1280x1024 or
1024x768 (assuming a monitor) might help.

-Chad