[Openchrome-users] CN400 mpeg-2 acceleration still slow

David Shay david
Tue May 15 07:14:06 PDT 2007

On 5/10/07, Manuel Wei? <ferde at kannx.net> wrote:

> David Shay schrieb:
> ><snip>

> Well I hope I've sent this mail to the right adress this time:
>

> I dont know if it's relevant for your chip revision. I'm using the
> Unichrome IGP inthe K8M800 chipset. HW accelerated playback through xxmc
> (xvmc with usage of the VLD decoder) and xine worked but produced almost
> more CPU load than Xv. Currently I'm using the unichrome save cpu option
> (IMO this makes xine sleep waiting on the output of VLD decoder ). But
> if you do so you have to make shure your kernel runs with a frequency of
> 1000 khz, otherwise you (at least I did) get stuttering video.
>
> But maybe you know all this already.
>
> Can you attach your "xine -verbose=1 ...." log ?

Well, I did have my kernel set to the default of 250 khz, so first I changed
to to 1000.  Made no difference with save cpu off.  When I turned save cpu
on, I did indeed see reduced cpu utilization, but I got stuttering video.

Logs do show that hardware encoding is enabled -- see the logs attached to
my first message.

This is running VGA at 1600x1200.  My 1280x720 clip runs at about 96% CPU
utilization.  The 1920x1080 clip can't really keep up and xine eventually
complains about dropping frames.

Any other kernel tweaks or other settings I might have missed?