[Openchrome-users] Question about new CX700M2

perevera userforum
Mon May 28 12:53:24 PDT 2007

Re: Question about new CX700M2
> perevera wrote:
> > Re: Question about new CX700M2
> > I am trying to set up a VIA EPIA-EX Mini-ITX with chipset VIA CX700M2.
> >
> > Looking for the display drivers, I found useful this thread in the VIA Arena:
> >
> > http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=77236&highlight_key=y&keyword1=OpenChrome
> >
> > It seems to work well, at least with Totem when playing DVD.
> >
> > The thing is I am experiencing problems with MythTV frontend when viewing live TV or videos from the backend.
> >
> > What I see is the image stopping all the time and the voice like when you played an LP record in 45 rpm.
> >
> > I am not sure if ALSA drivers could also be disturbing in this case, but...
> >
> > I see two possible reasons:
> >
> > * Poor signal in the Wi-Fi link. I don't believe this because I have tested it with direct sight between the bridge and the router and it makes no difference. I still should make the final test though, by connecting the backend and the frontend through a cross-over ethernet wire.
> >
> > * Mythfrontend not compiled with XvmC support. I don't know how to check this, and I was unable to compile it myself and make it work. The thing is: when I change the mythfrontend configuration, enabling/disabling XvmC support, it makes no difference: I experience the same problems and the same CPU usage (around 30-40%).
> >
> > Well, I hope the instructions on the link can help you, and hopefully somebody could give me some advice about my problems.
> >

> If by 'LP record in 45 rpm' you mean that the voices are very high and
> squeeky, then go into mythfrontend Setup ->Setup->TV Settings->Playback
> and clear 'Use video as timebase'. This seems to fix most instances of
> this problem.
>
> As to compiling in XVMC support, if you are compiling mythtv, then the
> output of 'configure' will tell you whether xvmc will be compiled in. I
> use the mythtv SVN trunk and I enable ALL of those switches, so that
> configure can determine which ones it call/will actually compile.
> You need, at least, x11, xrandr, xv, xvmc, xvmc-vld, and xvmc-pro. I
> enable xvmc-opengl and opengl-vsync, but I think that they are
> contradictory to xvmc-pro and will not be made..Then again I may be
> missing a library.
>
> To ensure that xvmc is properly installed is REALLY helps to use
> --xvmc-lib=libviaXvMCPro as a switch to mythtv's configure. This is
> marked as "for cross-compiling" but it makes a difference in non-cross
> compiling too.
>
> If something you think should be enabled, is marked as 'will not be
> compiled' you are probably missing a library. The '-devel' libraries are
> a commone source of this problem for mythplugings, but I found that
> misconfiguration is the usual cause for mythtv.
>
> You will need an /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file with a one line entry of
> libviaXvMCPro  (goiong from memory on that file name. It is
> libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic for the nvidia driver but the via driver is named
> [...]

Thanks for your reply, Geoff.

I'm sorry because I'm busy at the moment plus I don't have a keyboard to access to my mini-pc for new tests (I only have SSH access at the moment), but still, I will tell you what I wrote on my notebook.

When I tried to compile I used these switches:

--enable-xvmc
--enable-xvmc-pro
--prefix=/usr/local
--enable-lirc

I completed the compilation and installation but when I started mythfrontend it core dumped.

So I went back to the pre-packaged installation, but still I'm not sure if it was compiled with xvmc support, I guess I should use 'mythfrontend --version' and see an output like this (from my other frontend which works alright):

Options compiled in:
 linux release using_xvmcw using_lmsensors using_v4l using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_ivtv using_firewire using_dbox2 using_hdhr using_ip_rec using_freebox using_live using_lirc using_joystick_menu using_dvb using_x11 using_xv using_xrandr using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_opengl_vsync using_opengl using_frontend using_backend

maybe plus something like "using_xvmc-pro"?

Regarding the other file you mentioned, this is the contents:

root at minipc:/etc/X11# more XvMCConfig
libXvMC.so.1

I hope I will do more testing in the days to follow, though I'm not sure I will be willing to redo new compilations of mythfrontend.

----

Reply Link: <http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=1&comments_reply_threadId=3556&comments_parentId=2359&post_reply=1#form>