[Openchrome-users] How-To: VN896 working well on a laptop widescreen 1280x800

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Tue Sep 18 08:06:00 PDT 2007

Hi,

Some corrections :

...snip...

> Finnaly, as the superuser, at any directory (I suggest /root) peform
> the following commands:
>
> mkdir openchrome cd openchrome svn co
> http://svn.openchrome.org/svn/branches/vn896_branch sh autogen.sh
> make make install
>

> This will install via_drv.so to /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/.
> In order to use it, you need to copy it to
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/. Here is how to do that (as
> superuser):
>
> cp /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/via*
> /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/

The vn896 branch is dead, everything has been pushed to experimental
branch. Also compiling as root is bad. And finally, you can have the
driver installed in the right place just with a conf flag to autogen.sh

I'd suggest using that instead, as a regular user), only the install
part needs root privileges :

mkdir openchrome
cd openchrome
svn co http://svn.openchrome.org/svn/branches/experimental_branch
./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
make
su -c 'make install'
(or sudo make install)

> This is the directories used by Mandriva Linux - it may be different
> on some distributions.
>
> To have it working on my laptop I have to use the "ForcePanel" "true"
> option at the xorg.conf file. Without that the image was always sent
> to the VGA out.

Which motherboard is detected (it's written in the xorg.log) ?
I want to verify something about the ForcePanel option.