[Openchrome-users] no 3D in k8m800

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Tue Apr 1 03:47:07 PDT 2008

Harshit Godha wrote:
> you have the right to be rude.

possibly, but I tried not to ;-)

> I want to fix it but i dont know how?
> to be honest I saw the code but I cant understand it.
> Is there any SDK and manual for my help?

No, VIA is not providing any documentation, nor do they work in good
coordination with the the FOSS developers. The only documentation you
will find is the VIA codedrops and the code in mesa.

> and finally I thought that these lists are different and have different
> people.

Yes, the lists are different both for historical reasons and because the
target audiences are different. Also, cross posting is considered bad
netiquette and anyway you're barking at the wrong tree.
unichrome/openchrome are for the 2D driver. The 2D driver is only
responsible for the initialisation of the chip and the 3D driver will
rely on that. The 3D driver is handled by mesa (and drm). You should ask
there. Unfortunately, there's currently no maintainer for unichrome
chips in mesa, so don't expect too much. The 3D problems with K8M800 are
known for a long time, but nobody was skilled enough and cared enough to
fixed them yet. Remember that VIA is not providing docs and is not
working with upstream, so it's difficult to get anything properly done.

I'm adding back openchrome-users mailing list to the distribution list
so other people can benefit from the answer.

> Sorry, I wont bother people again.

You can bother people, that's ok, you just need to bother the right
people and follow the common netiquette guidelines. This includes no top
posting ;-)