[Openchrome-users] xserver-xorg-video-openchrome: system freeze with vesafb

Stefan Strobl nst
Thu Aug 7 10:12:54 PDT 2008

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Bauer wrote:

> I use the latest xserver-xorg-video-openchrome driver from debian
> testing. it works perfect as long as i dont switch back to the
> framebuffer console. During the bootup, framebuffer console works
> perfect. If i move back to the console, the screen begins to display
> strange colors and a few lines and i cant work anymore (i dont see the
> framebuffer console nor am i able to do an input (keyboard or mouse)
> so it seems the system freezes completely. is this a known problem?

I'm having a similar problem. I don't think your input is frozen. When
going back to the console I can get back video by blindly typing
"vbetool vbemode set 3", although I have to admit I don't know where the
3 comes frome since this is no valid VESA mode... You may want to try a
different mode or better find out the correct mode before starting the X
Server by running "vbetool vbemode get".

Stefan.