[Openchrome-users] Openchrome trunk and Xorg.conf

Benno Schulenberg bensberg
Fri Feb 1 06:50:25 PST 2008

[Remove the Reply-To from your headers.]

novak jan wrote:
>   I am a beginner and I tried to install trunk version of your
> openchrome driver.

How?  Did you follow the "Modular driver build" on this page?:
http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Compiling+the+source+code

> I have problem with this. I have Mainboard
> Asrock P4 M890 for 478 socket and I would like to have 3D
> support.

According to this page it should work:
http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=HardwareCaveats

So if you install the driver correctly, and use it, it should work.

> If I understand good your
> manual, module name should be openchrome,

Correct.

> but if I wrote it to
> the Xorg.conf ( replaced vesa), it did not work.

"Did not work."  _What did not work?  What did not happen?  What did
happen.  What did you see?  What messages were printed?

> I tried also to
> adjust it so, how it is written  in this article [...]

Please don't use other articles; use just what's written on
openchrome.org.  Things are changing now and then, and are confusing
enough already.

> [...]
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/novak/Software/trunk/libxvmc'
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/novak/Software/trunk/libxvmc'
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/novak/Software/trunk'
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/novak/Software/trunk'
> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `
>
>  Is it problem, or it is normal?

That looks like the normal output, although it is just the final
fragment of it.

>   My lsmod  looks after openchrome  installation.

Openchrome is not a kernel module, so lsmod has nothing to do with
it.  To see whether you have the required kernel modules loaded,
show us the output of  'dmesg | grep -e agp -e drm'.

> 	Load	"vbe"

Remove this line.

> 	Driver		"vesa"

Set this to "openchrome", then post a gzipped Xorg.0.log.

Benno