[Openchrome-users] Call for packagers

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Tue Feb 5 14:01:57 PST 2008

Hi all,

Packagers and wannabe packagers, the openchrome project needs your help
! The driver is slowly but surely improving and getting in a better
shape, but the users' mailing list and the irc channel are still full of
basic user question related to compilation of the driver. This can and
should be avoided, first because it raises the entry cost for new and
often non-technical users (no offense intended) and also because it
wastes developers/contributors time that could be used to enhance the
documentation or other things more useful in the long run.

We used to and are still maintaining a 'contributed binaries' page in
the wiki, but it's often outdated or pointing at old versions of the
driver. It would be much better to package and maintain the driver as
official packages inside the various distributions around. This brings
numerous advantages. The users don't have to search the web for packages
and get them directly from their distribution's repositories without
additional configuration. The driver is more easily available in the
wild and gets better exposure and testing.

This mail is primarily targeted at all the good people that used to and
are still maintaining the packages that are linked from the 'contributed
binaries' page. Thanks a lot for your work, it is greatly appreciated. I
would just ask you to go a step further and get in touch with the
maintainers of your distro of choice and do your best to have the
openchrome driver included and maintained inside of it. There is also
obviously some room for new packagers ;-)

Thanks a lot for your attention and feel free to ask for help, I went
down this road already for Fedora/RHEL, it is not as hard as it may
sound and there's a lot to learn along the road.