[Openchrome-users] Poor video performance on EK8000EG

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Thu Feb 28 07:23:23 PST 2008

stubie wrote:
> Poor video performance on EK8000EG
>
> Hi All,
>
> Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't see any search
> option for this forum.
>
> I have an EK8000EG motherboard which according to the VIA site specs
> has MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 acceleration. With these specs I thought it
> would be ideal as a Mythtv Frontend.

This are the hardware specifications, that doesn't necessarily mean the
driver supports all the features.

> Although after many searches I have not been able to find info on
> anybody having this working. Nor have I been able to find anywhere
> that even mentions the chipset it uses: VT8237R

This is the southbridge, but the IGP is on the northbridge. Which
chipset is reported in the xorg log ? I couldn't quickly find the
information on VIA's site.

> I have MythBuntu 7.10 installed and using this motherboard as a
> frontend only. I have installed the openchrome driver and even though
> Mythtv Recordings playback perfect I cannot get divX, Xvid, wmv (evil
> I know) or even other mpeg2 video files to playback without
> stuttering.

The openchrome driver include in Ubuntu older than Hardy is old. I don't
know if it's been updated in Mythbuntu.

> I am using mplayer (within the Myth Frontend) to play the videos,
> although when using VLC the playback is alot better but still not
> perfect, which makes me think it's mplayers setup/config.

VLC doesn't support hardware acceleration afaik, and mplayer needs to be
patched to get hardware accelerated mpeg decoding. You'd better begin
with xine to validate everything is properly set on your system.

> Could someone tell me if openchrome supports this motherboard/chipset
> and if it has mpeg-4 acceleration that is possible to get working?

openchrome most probably supports this chipset. However, mpeg4
acceleration is not yet supported, only mpeg2 is.

> Or is mplayer the main problem?
>
> Any help appriciated Thanks, Stuart.
>
> EK8000EG MythBunutu 7.10 512MB RAM

Please provide your xorg conf and gzipped xorg log.