[Openchrome-users] gdm/kdm won't work, but startx does

Peter Liebst peter
Sat Jan 12 05:31:03 PST 2008

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me out here, or perhaps I can supply some debug info
which can be used in the development of this driver..

I have a VIA EX10000EG board with the CX700 chipset, which I'm trying to setup
as MythTV frontend for my Samsung 40" LCD TV using DVI->HDMI.

I have installed Ubuntu Gutsy, and installed the Openchrome experimental
driver.

If I do:
# /etc/init.d/kdm (or gdm) my tv just goes black and says "Mode not
supportet".

But if I run # startx , then the desktop fires up nicely.. though I miss
abount an inch or of the desktop around the screen, but it is working better
than using kdm/gdm.

Does any of you have any ideas how to fix this ? I have google'ed around for
at least a week now, without finding anything..

root at ubuntu:~# lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. CX700M2 UniChrome
PRO II Graphics (rev 03)

You can see my xorg.conf and Xorg.log here:
http://liebst.eu/Xorg.0.log
http://liebst.eu/xorg.conf

Let me know if you need more info..

Cheers