[Openchrome-users] Openchrome on OBSD 4.2 working

mrdubya userforum
Sun Jan 13 03:44:48 PST 2008

Re: Openchrome on OBSD 4.2 working
> mrdubya wrote:
> > With a little bit of touching up I have managed to build and
> > install the latest trunk Openchrome driver under OpenBSD 4.2 with
> > its Xorg 7.2.0 - yay. And once I get the right monitor settings
> > to solve the bandwidth problems I am sitting happily at 1280x1024
> > 32bpp. Happy bunny.
>
> Nice.  I'd like to see a gzipped Xorg log.

Attached.The xorg.conf is the result of X -configure with a couple of modifications for the monitor, I am using all the default openchrome settings.

> > For the record, the "fixes" I had to do were as follows:
> >
> > 1. src/Makefile.am - the svn revision buildcomment needs an extra
> > \ before \n, otherwise the generated C macro spans 2 lines which
> > is a no no and kills the build.
>
> Hmm, when I add that extra backslash, a literal "\n" gets printed in
> the Xorg log instead of a newline, meaning the development build
> line gets concatenated with the next one, as expected, like this:
>
> (!!) (development build, at svn revision 499M)\n(II) resource...
>
> Maybe your shell does not understand the backticks?  Maybe it needs
> $(...) instead of `...`?  What's in your svnrelease.h after running
> make?

The issue seems to be with the shell - OBSD ksh (which I use)  and sh both do backslash interpretation. If I add -E to the echo command then everything is ok.  Rather than have to modify the Makefile to cope with shells that may or may not do backslash interpretation It may be simpler just to modify the call to xf86Msg() to use the compiler's string concatenation -

  xf86Msg(X_NOTICE, BUILDCOMMENT"\n");

2p's worth and all that.

> > While hacking this I also encountered an assumption that
> > /bin/true exists - this is not so on OBSD, it's in /usr/bin,
>
> Would changing it to simply 'true' work for you?

It would.

> Hmm, why does it do this anyway?  If chmod fails, something is
> wrong, and it should stop.

The make command catches chmod failing, hence the call to true.  For some reason svnversion.h.tmp is owned by root and chmod only works for the file owner or superuser.  It is a hard one to reproduce so I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if I get any more information.  However, I can delete the file and it then builds ok.

> > 2. The install assumes the X11 modules dir is in /usr/lib/xorg
> > when on default install OBSD it is /usr/X11R6/lib - a link sorted
> > that out for now.
>
> As far as I know /usr/lib/xorg is the standard place nowadays and
> most distros make a /usr/X11R6 -> ../usr symlink or similar.

On OBSD it is /usr/X11R6 by design.  Is there an autogen --?dir that can be used to change the path?

> > 3. The installer assumes the man path for the man page is
> > /usr/man when it should be /usr/local/man, simply copied the file
> > and removed the wrong directory.
>
> Here it installs to /usr/local/man without a problem.  Can you find
> out where it goes wrong for you?

Between the chair and the keyboard - adding a --mandir=/usr/local/man to ./autogen.sh does the right thing at install time.

> > If you want me to check build changes for OBSD compatibility I am
> > more than happy to help.
>
> We'd be happy to make any necessary changes, but apart from
> the /bin/true problem I don't see what to change.
>
> Benno

HTH

MW

----