[Openchrome-users] Recommendation for vx800 drivers

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton
Sun Nov 2 20:27:19 PST 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:46 AM, Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org> wrote:
> gurgel2 wrote:
>> Recommendation for vx800 drivers Im wondering what drivers i should
>> use for my epia n700, vx800 based, board under ubuntu? Are the
>> openchrome drivers far from stable? Have anyone tried the unichrome
>> driver supplied by via(?). Which is best and which one will have
>> support for the hardware based video accelleration?
>>
> openchrome doesn't have support for VX800 yet. It shouldn't be too far
> in the future though (say 1 or 2 months).
> The "open" VIA driver from linux.via.com.tw will never have mpeg
> acceleration, the "closed" VIA driver from viaarena.com will or does,
> but it needs a modified and probably outdated (read unsecure) xinelib or
> mplayer running with root privileges.
>
> Regards,
> Xavier

I just finished up the XAA 2d support for the VX800 chipset.  EXA
works as well but has some font rendering problems.  Video
acceleration is on its way.  I will try and get some testing done and
my code checked in tomorrow.

Jon