[Openchrome-users] Introduction and first question

Dave Cohen openchrome
Sun Oct 5 12:57:09 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm new to this list.  But I've spent some time reading the archives and
website over the past week.  I'm putting together my first mythtv box.  I'm a
software guy, not a hardware guy, so this is a learning experience for me.  My
goal is to build a nice DVR and get rid of this lousy box from Comcast.

Anyway I'm starting with a Commell LV-667 board, because I got a good deal on
craigslist.  It's got a VIA CN400, with VT1625.  I'm having a hard time making
it do everything it's supposed to do.  I'll probably have a number of
questions for this list, but I'll start with one about XvMC.

I've read that openchrome supports XvMC on this board, but I can't get mythtv
to use it.  I've tried to follow documentation, mostly
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC.  But instead of an image to the
screen I get messages like "Desired video renderer 'xvmc-blit' not available"
from my mythfrontend.

I've also seen this thread: http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-
view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=5036&topics_threshold=0&topics_offset=16&topics_sort_mode=title_desc&topics_find=&forumId=1
But I'm not sure exactly what's being said there.  Some sites claim that with
openchrome and my board I should get XvMC, but I'm not sure anyone's actually
done it.

I've also compiled the xvmcinfo code from the mythtv.org URL above.  It's
output is pasted below.  I don't grok all of it, but I'm concerned that it
lists only MPEG1.  Shouldn't I see MPEG2 as a format?

I appreciate any guidance with this stuff, even if it's "go out and get another
board".  Let me know if there's changes I can make to the drivers, or patches
to test.  I'm using the latest openchrome from svn on Arch linux.

-Dave

xvmcinfo output:

Xv version 2.2
XvMC version 1.1

screen number 0
   info for adaptor 0 [XV_SWOV]
      number of XvMC surface types: 2

      info about surface 0:
         max_width=2048
         max_height=2048
         subpicture_max_width=2048
         subpicture_max_height=2048
         chroma_format:
            XVMC_CHROMA_FORMAT_420
         mc_type:
            format                   : MPEG1
            accelaration start from  :
         flags:
            MOCOMP XVMC_OVERLAID_SURFACE XVMC_BACKEND_SUBPICTURE

      info about surface 1: