[Openchrome-users] OpenChrome on the Elonex webbook with Intrepid Ibex

Alan Bell alan.bell
Tue Oct 14 13:28:06 PDT 2008

I have been working on getting Ubuntu Intrepid to work on the Elonex
webbook laptop, by default the LCD panel does not work at all but the
external VGA port is operational at 1024x768 (which is the native
resolution of the monitor I attached).
I compiled the latest from trunk and installed that, still didn't work,
but with with a lot of help from schlobinux on IRC I did eventually get
it working, it required a small fix to let the driver know that a panel
was there http://www.openchrome.org/trac/changeset/597/trunk
and a modeline in the xorg.conf to let it know about the 1024x600
resolution of the panel
This left it with a rather odd stretched screen on the panel, it was
running at 1024x600 but this was stretched such that the top left
820x450 filled the panel. A bit of inspection of Xorg.0.log revealed
that it thought the native panel size was 1280x800 so what it was really
doing was stretching the 1024x600 resolution out to fit a 1280x800 panel
then only displaying 1024x600 of that.
The reason it thought the native size was 1280x800 was because
ViaPanelGetNativeModeFromScratchPad in via_panel.c was getting an index
of 7, which corresponds to 1280x800 in the array at the top of
via_panel.c I hacked line 49 of via_panel.c to read
    {1024, 600},
and recompiled. It then worked perfectly.
What is a more sensible way to get this to work? clearly my hack would
break something else which actually does have a 1280x800 panel. Is there
somewhere I can put the 1024x600 modeline so that my xorg.conf can go
back to it's almost totally empty state?

Alan