[Openchrome-users] VGA to RGB Scart

Marcus Priesch marcus
Tue Sep 16 09:58:04 PDT 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 15:25 +0100, Paul Gardiner wrote:
[...]
> a 525P source is connected to the component video
> input. So it must handle progressive via component,
> but I guess it may not accept it via the Scart
> sockets.

so i assume you can only support it with progressive input via the
component inputs - which you wont find on any epia board so far as i
know .... i thi nk scart wont work - i know no device which is capable
of providing (or consuming) progressive scan via scart ...

regarding interlace:

 - internally you have 50 fps progressive (what is put out on VGA out)
 - your mplayer (or what ever decodes your dvb-t) deinterlaces the
   interlaced content and puts it into the 50fps progressive field -
   removing any time-related information the interlacing provides
 - the TV-out encoder takes the whole 50fps deinterlaced image, scales
   it and softens it, so that no disgusting interlace flicker occurs
   any more and outputs interlaced video on svideo out with minimal
   interlacing ... thats why it looks so ugly :)

the only solution i know of how you can get interlaced content onto
interlaced TV is via the matrox driver, which is capable of producing
interlaced RGB out with the correct PAL timing - and mplayer using the
matrox video out driver - which selectively copies the correct
(half-frames) in the corresponding video region ....

then you get brilliant picture, nice interlace flickering at the cost of
a seperate vga card ... not capable of doing any hardware accelerated
mpeg decoding ... :)

if i am wrong in some point, prove me right ;)

any other suggestions very welcome !!!

however, the need for image quality got lost over the years ... :(

regards,
marcus.