[Openchrome-users] Almost always frozen, with dri + glx

Lluís Batlle viriketo
Sat Apr 11 04:02:11 PDT 2009

Hello,
yesterday I sent a letter here, with too much content, so the message
got into a queue for moderator approval.

I'll write a shorter letter, and maybe more people will read it. :)

Yesterday I tried xorg 1.5.3 / mesa 7.4 / libdrm 2.4.7 / openchrome
0.2.903 / linux 2.6.28.9, and I got the same result as always: the
only program I can run with 3D acceleration is 'glxgears'. For
example, running the 'neverball' game, or the 'freepv' panorama
viewer, 'googleearth', or some gl programs I've written, all freezes.
No ping answered after that, no mouse cursor moving.

I have this hardware:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
K8M800/K8N800/K8N800A [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])

I can run glx programs only disabling the 3D acceleration through
drirc, with norast=true. But they run terribly slow, of course.

This has been the behaviour I've seen since xorg 1.4.2 and the via
dri/xorg drivers available back then.

If you want more information, I can help. If you can guide me through
how to debug my problem, I'm also ready to try. I think I'm quite an
experienced developer to deal with that... but I've never dealt with
such hard freezes. I've tried some of the debug environment variables
available in mesa (LIBGL_DEBUG, MESA_DEBUG, VIA_DEBUG, ...), and I get
some lines, but the freeze appears, and the xterms haven't finished
painting. I don't know what is it about.

Btw, I also tried vblank_mode=0, and that doesn't help.

Regards,
Llu?s.