[Openchrome-users] No 3D support for chrome9 ?

Xavier Bachelot xavier
Wed Feb 18 13:13:01 PST 2009

Sampsa Riikonen wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I am a new user here so I have some very basic questions..
>
> I am trying to install the openchrome driver into my hp2133
> mini-laptop.  The gpu I have on this laptop is the
>
> CN896 / VN896 / P4M900
>
> aka "chrome9", I suppose.
>
> 2D works fine, but I am unable to get any 3D acceleration, so I
> went through the steps suggested in the openchrome web-page:
> ----------------------
> mini_install/temp2/openchrome # dmesg | grep -e agp -e drm
> Linux agpgart interface v0.103
> via_agp: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module
> [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
>
> linux-qj4i:~/hp_mini_install/temp2/openchrome # grep
> openchrome /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) LoadModule: "openchrome"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//drivers/openchrome_drv.so
> (II) Module openchrome: vendor="http://openchrome.org/"
> (!!) For support, please refer to http://www.openchrome.org/.
>
> linux-qj4i:~/hp_mini_install/temp2/openchrome # grep
> rendering /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> (II) CHROME(0): direct rendering disabled
>
> linux-qj4i:~/hp_mini_install/temp2/openchrome #
> grep "(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
> (EE) CHROME(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
>
> (WW) CHROME(0): Unknown vendor-specific block f
> (WW) CHROME(0): [XvMC] XvMC is not supported on this chipset.
> (WW) CHROME(0): Option "PreferredMode" is not used
> --------------------
>
> "openchrome_dri.so" appears to be in the correct directory
> (I installed the latest mesa library), but I cannot find a trace
> of via_agp.so.  Should this shared library come from the
> openchrome driver or from the mesa project?
>
> Maybe I don't get 3D acceleration because my chip is not supported?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sampsa Riikonen

There is currently no open source implementation of a Chrome9 3D driver
and there will likely not be any until first the Chrome9 DRM is sorted
out. Then a 3D driver using either DRI or Gallium 3D can be written, but
this depend on VIA providing some pixel shaders documentation first.
There is no ETA for such a documentation, but VIA is working on it.