[Openchrome-users] debug messages in Ubuntu

Abraham Varricatt abraham.varricatt
Sat Feb 28 06:39:09 PST 2009

Hi guys,

How do I see the debug messages printed out by openchrome?

I have a netbook with a VN896 chipset. It's taken me about a month, but
I finally got Ubuntu to run on it with the correct screen resolution.
Now I want to study how openchrome works.

Currently my procedure goes like this,

1. Start Ubuntu on netbook in text mode.
2. ssh into netbook with another Ubuntu box. (a desktop system)
3. run "sudo startx" on the prompt that comes up.(on netbook)
4. from the ssh prompt, run " gdb /usr/bin/Xorg <pid of X>"
5. Inside the gdb prompt type "bt f"

To what I understand, that should give me the entire back-trace of
xserver. But all I get is till #4. In short this is what I'm getting,

#0 0xb80e...   in  __kernel_vsyscall  ()
#1 0xb7dac...   in  select ()  from  /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#2 0x808c...   in WaitForSomething
#3 0x0807...    in Dispatch () at
#4 0x08.......   in main ()

I think you can see my issue.

For compiling I followed the "openchrome 2D driver compilation" steps
found here,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome

And for debugging I followed the steps here,
http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/ServerDebugging

Well, not all the debugging steps, I installed only, "apt-get install
xserver-xorg-core-dbg" . Since I was compiling openchrome, it seemed
silly to download the openchrome debug package from canonical.

The really annoying thing for me is that in the ssh terminal where I ran
"startx" I can see some error prints come. They go like "(EE) CHROME (0)
..." So, I can see that openchrome is printing it out. But HOW can I see
this stuff with the debugging window?

Or do you guys have some other debugger I can use?

Yours,
Abru