[Openchrome-users] which VIA chipset for custom STB?

Patrik Kluba kpajko79
Fri Jan 2 06:55:07 PST 2009

Hi All!

I'm about to build a dedicated linux-based STB, preferably a fanless,
low-power one. Mainly this is the reason I have stuck with VIA
chipsets (as AMD chipsets have no good linux support, Nvidia ones are
power hungry and maybe too powerful for a STB, and low-power
Intel-based systems don't appear be powerful enough, but if you can
recommend me something, don't hesistate to write me), but after
running through the list archives and being subscribed to the lists,
still don't know which one to choose from them.
My only requirement is working MPEG-2 acceleration support, and
optionally MPEG-4 (DVB card will be a HVR3000, FlyDVB Trio or a
HVR4000 not necessarily using its DVB/S2 capability until HW
acceleration is working).
I know that recent chipsets are not supported completely or at all by
the openchrome driver currently. As long as this is the case, I can
stick with a closed source driver *if* that one can be considered as
stable. By the way, my job is to sketch embedded systems for my
company, validate schematics created by our affiliates, write device
drivers for the components, and getting life into the prototypes, so I
have experience in driver writing and willing to contribute to the
project.
Now I'm oscillating between a CX700M-based Jetway J7F5-VHE (sporting a
1.0-1.2 GHz C7 or Eden processor) and a VX800-based Jetway NF76
(sporting a 1.0 GHz Via Nano processor).
Thanks for any advices.

Regeards,
Patrik