[Openchrome-users] [openChrome] #283: CPU Load high with Openchrome in Fedora 10 in comparison with the Via driver in Fedora 6.

OpenChrome Trac trac
Sun Mar 1 11:03:08 PST 2009

#283: CPU Load high with Openchrome in Fedora 10 in comparison with the Via
driver in Fedora 6.
Reporter:  doug2233  |       Owner:  somebody
    Type:  defect    |      Status:  new
 Version:  0.2.903   |    Keywords:
Blocking:            |   Blockedby:
 I have also had a significiant problem with high CPU usage with the
 Openchrome driver.

 My situation is with an EPIA M1000 board with the VT3118 device, but I am
 using a Panel LCD.

 Fortunately I can do a direct comparison between the 'Via' driver from
 Fedora 6 and the Openchrome driver in Fedora 10. Initially I had thought
 the problem was Fedora 10 related and did a comparison between Python on
 both platforms and confirmed the cpu loading between the two without
 graphics was unlikely to be causing the poor performance.

 The detailed discussion of my investigation can be found here:

 [http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/fedora-10-seems-to-run-
 very-slow--706493/#post3461492]

 To summarise my results - in short I get the best pefrformance with all
 acceleration turned off using the "NoAccel" flag set to True.  Performance
 is poor with the Openchrome dirver and seems fine with the F6 via driver.
 The F6 Via performance is comparable with my eeePC with similar clock
 speed and memory as the VIA Nano board.

 The comparison is by way of swapping a CF card - One CF with F8 plus the
 (embedded) application and F6, a second CF card with F10 plus application.
 I don't use any Window Manager ans start X before starting the app.

 The log dump is attached, perhaps someone can review this:

--
Ticket URL: <http://www.openchrome.org/trac/ticket/283>
openChrome <http://www.openchrome.org/>