[Openchrome-users] Fwd: opencrome in Debian 5 on Epia M.

John Robinson john.robinson
Sun Mar 22 12:33:11 PDT 2009

On 22/03/2009 14:56, Francesco Bochicchio wrote:
[...]
> For a while, I suspected CPU
> clock-stepping : with stock-kernel, the default was about 650 MHz, while
> with my kernel and stepping disabled is fixed at 1 GHz . I thought that
> maybe playing a video would require the kernel to increase CPU frequency
> and that did not
> work because of some weird difference between intel CPU and VIA CPU.
>  However, this should happen also with
> non-accelerated X driver (even more so), and instead that was fine.

Other way round, I think - with the acceleration available, the CPU can
drop its frequency during playback, which isn't possible with the
non-accelerated driver. I know this used to cause a problem (in that the
speed change sometimes locked up when there was a lot of I/O going on)
but I thought it had long since been fixed - or maybe the Fedora/CentOS
kernels I've used have just had it disabled for all this time.

Cheers,

John.