[Openchrome-users] Fwd: opencrome in Debian 5 on Epia M.

John Robinson john.robinson
Fri Mar 27 04:21:22 PDT 2009

On 23/03/2009 18:21, Francesco Bochicchio wrote:
> 2009/3/22 Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org <mailto:xavier at bachelot.org>>
[...]
>     I think it was never really fixed and the support is disabled by
>     default. Grep for CONFIG_X86_LONGHAUL in your kernel config.
>
> I can add that this option is one of the differences between the
> 'faulty' kernel, which has the option enabled as module, and the 'good'
> one, which has it disabled.
> However, I'm not sure about this diagnosis: my box is permanently on
> and running a P2P program  which usually uses  between 15% and 40% of
> CPU time. When I play a movie, I don't stop that program, so at least
> 15% of CPU is always used. If the failure was due to an attempt to
> downclock the CPU, it should occur sometime also without playing a
> movie, e.g. when the P2P program run out of sources. It never occurred
> despite an uptime of days with the P2P program always running.

Yes, but almost any time you do anything interactive, like start playing
a DVD, the CPU speed gets put back up to the maximum, and the crashes
only seem to occur on speed changes when there's heavy I/O: your P2P
program's I/O won't be much more than your upstream connection speed x2
(from disc, to network), while playing video involves much more data
coming from disc then shuffling a screen's worth of data around 50-60
times per second.

> Anyway, with the new kernel is now two days without crashes, so I'm
> happy whatever the reason :-)

I hope it's still up!

Cheers,

John.