[Openchrome-users] Openchrome for Guillemot-Hercules ECafe EC900B netbook

Andrew Jones andrew.jones11235
Wed Oct 21 16:48:05 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 01:03 +0200, Xavier Bachelot wrote:
> Andrew Jones wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently purchased an EC900B which was the cheapest PC in the shop
> > (and the only one sold with Linux).
> >
> > This box is built entirely from Via chips and the pre-installed Mandriva
> > Linux has a proprietary driver for the VX800 apparently written
> > specifically for Guillemot-Hercules.
> >
> > Its display is 1024x600.
> >
> > All my other PCs run Fedora so the first thing I tried (and failed) to
> > do was install Fedora, which did not support the VX800.
> >
> > I verified this morning that Fedora 12 Beta also does not support this
> > hardware so I built openchrome 0.2.904 on an up-to-date Fedora 11 Live
> > USB key, but that didn't work either.
> >
> > It's like an old television that cannot synch - it looks like the
> > correct display might be there but it's sliding across the screen so
> > quickly it's hard to tell.
> >
> > Full descriptions of the hardware and Xorg.0.log are in the attached
> > file.
> >
> > Extract from Xorg.0.log:
> > (EE) CHROME(0): Unknown Card-Ids (1122|1106|3349), Chipset: VX800;
> > please report to openchrome-users at openchrome.org
> >
> > If there is anything I can do to help you support this hardware (or if
> > it looks like I haven't installed it correctly) please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> I've added the missing pci id in trunk revision 812. You can either
> update the driver or add the following line to the Device section of
> your xorg conf :
> Option "ForcePanel"
>
> Regards,
> Xavier

Xavier,

Thanks - Option "ForcePanel" "true"  worked perfectly.

I use this live USB key with lots of different computers so I would
prefer not to have to remember to rename different versions of xorg.conf
depending on hardware.

I will try to build revision 812 and remove xorg.conf in the next day or
two.and let you know how it goes

Thanks for the rapid response

Andy