[Openchrome-users] Android status

kruland@sunflower.com kruland
Sat Dec 31 18:59:56 PST 2011

Sampo and others,

I was hoping to get some quality hacking time during my recent vacation.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do anything.

I did some "weird" things to the repository in order to get the android project in there.  In particular, I created an android project directory which uses an external back to the java src dir.  Yuck!  It works because when you checkout the android project directory, you get a complete eclipse/adt project with source, etc.  When creating the external, I used a relative path so it should be correct even when tags and branches are created.

When I last left it, I had a very simple android application which could open and parse an ork file.  Even though this sounds pretty trivial, I think this is a fairly major step forward.  However, I have not committed this yet.

I made a number of short cuts to get this far.  In particular, the Materials and engines "databases" are pretty much the code in the main swing system.  The biggest problem with this is I had to single thread the engine database and loading this in memory consumes considerable amount of time.  I am planning on replacing it with a real engine database (using sqlite) which requires the user to download motors from thrustcuve.org.

Kevin