[Openchrome-users] Troubles on Jetway J7F2WE1g5S with NTSC TV-out

kruland@sunflower.com kruland
Fri Jul 8 18:59:38 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I had had openchrome on VIA VB7001G just fine.  But the board overheaded and died.  I replaced it with a Jetway J7F2WE1G5S because it was mostly compatible with my older hardware (PCI card and analog TV).

I am running the versions of openchrome included in Ubuntu 10.10.  If you need accurate version numbers, just tell me where to look and I'll pull them out.

The BIOS is configured for NTSC TV, S-VIDEO, and CRT+TV output.

Jetway specs this board (http://www.jetway.com.tw/jw/ipcboard_view.asp?productid=271&proname=j7f2we1g5) as containing a CN700 and VT1622A.  It appears that all the hardware is correctly identified.

The console output looks very crisp and clean.  But I am having no ends of trouble getting good TV output in X.  If I have a monitor tied to the VGA plug, I can not get vertical sync on the TV.  (With the VIA board this was never an issue.)

I have tried each of the supported modes and have the following troubles:

640x480 - generally good picture, but the colors are off and pulse slightly.
800x600 - syncs but the picture quality is very poor.  every other line is black like the interlacing is not working correctly.
720x480 - no v-sync
848x480 - no v-sync
1024x768 - no v-sync
800x600Over - no v-sync
720x484Over - no v-sync
720x484Noscale - no v-sync

Can you point me to how I can improve my experience?  attached are the xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files when starting with 800x600 mode.

Thanks a bunch.

Kevin