[Openchrome-users] Version 0.3.0 not working with VN896/P4M900 chipset on OpenSUSE 12.1

James Simmons jsimmons
Mon Aug 13 11:45:07 PDT 2012

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to the list so please don't hesitate to bash me if I am doing
> something wrong.
>
> I have an old laptop I am using that has a VN896/P4M900 chipset on it. I am
> using opensuse 12.1. I was using version 0.2.905 of the openchrome driver for
> a few months now, someone at the opensuse forums was kind enough to package it
> for me.

What is the laptop model? Can you post the Xorg.log and kernel dmesg of
the 0.2.905 runs.

> Now the version 0.3.0 is out I wanted to give it a go. I have no idea how to
> build packages, so I compiled the driver and replaced the old files with the
> new ones. Also, someone else at the forums built a new rpm package for me with
> the new driver and I tried that out as well.
>
> In both cases the results were the same: The system hangs when trying to start
> the X server. /var/log/xorg.0.log is blank when the system crashes, so I don't
> have any additional information to provide, apart from the fact that I am not
> using an xorg.conf file (was not using one with the 0.2.905 driver either). I
> would be glad to provide any additional info you require in order to solve
> this, this driver has been working quite well for me and I would like to help
> out to get this problem solved.

Maybe the kernel dmesg will give some insight. Please post it with the new
xorg driver.

> Thanks and keep up the good work!

Thanks for testing.