[Openchrome-users] VX900 issues on VIA VE900 mainboard

James Simmons jsimmons at infradead.org
Mon Dec 31 10:57:30 PST 2012

> Hi,
>
> I have been setting up OpenBSD 5.2 on a VE900 mainboard and having fun getting
> the openchrome driver to work with the VX900 chipset.

Wow you are first BSD user that I know of :-)

> The problem is break up on the display.  Hard to describe - it's like
> horizontal sequences of pixels are not initially being drawn.  Moving the
> mouse slowly results in the missing pixels being painted, but never all of
> them.  A bit more experimentation shows that the first two starts of the X
> server after a boot are perfectly ok but then any subsequent start of the X
> server results in corruption from then on with no obvious way to stop it.
>
> Interestingly, it doesn't affect the X server root window, just the windows on
> top of it.  The problem  can in the extreme lead to corrupted text in plain
> console mode after exiting the X server.  I tried using XAA and EXA with no
> compositing, no difference.
>
> Some choice bits from the attached Xorg log file (after display starts
> suffering from corruption using all default options) and comparison with other
> log files from experimenting:

Looked at the logs and it appears you are running a old X driver. Can you
try build from the code at

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/openchrome/xf86-video-openchrome

> 1. Unknown card ids:
> [   124.916] (EE) CHROME(0): Unknown Card-Ids (7122|1019|3126), Chipset:
> VX900; please report to openchrome-users at openchrome.org
>
> 2. A time out on one occasion - in the attached one:
> [   190.474] viaWaitVideoCommandFire: Timeout.

Strange that is running.

> 3. Frame buffer start address "wanders" from start to start - I would have
> thought that would be fixed, perhaps not. Interesting?

Nope. Its a chunk taken out of the VRAM.

> 4. The driver mode and default mode lines can vary.  Sometimes they include a
> "(scaled from ...)" statement where the frequency various between 0.0 and some
> varying large number.
>
> This is OBSD 5.2 release i386, Xserver 1.12.2, and openchrome 0.2.906 with all
> default options and the BIOS auto 256MB video RAM (4GiB RAM installed).
>
> Happy to try things out.  HTH - TTFN

Thanks for trying out this on BSD. Please note the driver is not
accelerated for this platform. I also know the BSD is working on a port
of KMS so it should be possible to support acceleration in the future.