[Openchrome-users] DRI2 and Mesa 8.0

Mario Rugiero mrugiero at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 16:21:59 PST 2012

That only means distributions doesn't support 3D acceleration for Unichrome
cards now. Every DRI1 driver has been dropped before Mesa 8.0 got out.
James Simmons did port the DRM driver to work with DRI2, but there is no
Mesa driver to take advantage of it yet.
More basic usage is still supported and doesn't seem like it will be
dropped anytime soon. There is ongoing work on new features, like power
management, coming from the openchrome devs (mostly from Simmons). So I
wouldn't worry about any other code drops. Also, the old Mesa driver was in
a poor state, and no one maintained it, so it didn't worked very well (at
least on my box), and wasn't really compatible with the new DRM driver
anyway.

Solutions:
- use the best software rasterizer you can;
- begin work for a new Mesa driver or pay someone to do that;
- or just wait until James Simmons ends with his current work, I think he
had some plans to work in a Mesa driver using Gallium3D at some time. But
it will take some time.

The two latter requires patience.