[Openchrome-users] 1920x1080 via DFP on VX900?

Pascal Ernster openchrome-users at hardfalcon.net
Wed Apr 3 03:35:17 PDT 2013

On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:08:33 +0200
Xavier Bachelot <xavier at bachelot.org> wrote:

> On 04/03/2013 10:52 AM, Pascal Ernster wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 01:48:32 +0200
> > Pascal Ernster <openchrome-users at hardfalcon.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any possibility to get OpenChrome to support 1920x1080 via
> >> DVI/HDMI on a VX900 (I'm using the latest trunk from git)?
> >>
> >> I've got a Zotac ZBox VD01 wit a VX900 nd a 1920x1080 TFT connected
> >> via HDMI. 1440x900, 1400x1050 and some other resolutions are
> >> working perfectly when I use the ForcePanel and the PanelSize
> >> options, however 1920x1080 doesn't work. The card seems to try to
> >> set the mode, the TFT doesn't switch into standby mode (as it
> >> would when trying for instance "1680x1050"), but it stays all
> >> black nonetheless.
> >>
> >> I've aleady tried adding the mode (both correct resolution and
> >> panel) to ViaResolutionTable[] in via_mode.h, but without
> >> success... :/
> >>
> >> Any hints?
> >
> > Thanks to schlobinuxes help in IRC, I've got 1080p to work via HDMI.
> > You need to use openchrome-drm from git (so essentially, you have to
> > build the whole kernel unless you're already running some Linux 3.9
> > RC). 1080p also works with KMS enabled (via.modeset=1 in cmdline),
> > but with KMS enabled, there's no XV support and (as schloblinux
> > explained) just very little 2D acceleration (it's fast enough for
> > "standard office work" though).
> >
> Just a note, you need the drm-openchrome kernel, not a "standard"
> kernel, even 3.9 rc, nothing has been included in upstream kernel yet.
>
> There are a couple hints on KMS there :
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Openchrome/TtmGemKms

No, I meant that in the way that "if you're running a standard 3.9
kernel already, you can simply take the code from drivers/gpu/drm/via
in the openchrome-drm git and add a few lines to the Makefile" (if
you're *really* lazy and don't have the whole git tree flying around on
your disk already, you can even download the code with "wget -r").

But forget that talking about 3.9, I wasn't aware that the
openchrome-drm kernel in git is in fact a 3.8.0rc6 and not a 3.9rc5.

> > Thanks for the great efforts all of you are putting into this driver
> > anyhow. You folks are terrific! :)
> >
> Thanks for testing and reporting back :-)

You're welcome. That almost reads like "Thanks for trying my chocolate
cookies! - *crunch* *mumble* Oh, you're welcome, any more trying I can
help with? *slobber*" :)

I've also attached my dmesg and my Xorg.0.log (from booting up with
via.modeset=1).

regards
Pascal